Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Ipsy Glam Bag December 2014 Review

Well...another month...another Ipsy review starting with a rant. Sigh.  I've been a subscriber for 1.5 years and EVERY time I get a nude lip product I rate it "not for me" and EVERY time I get a bold or bright lip product I rate it "love it".  Yet out of the 4 shades of NYX Butter Balms, which do I get? Take a guess....the nude.   I am so pissed.  My mom who doesn't even like bright lip colors got the hot pink. Customization, yeah freaking right Ipsy. I'm pretty disappointed this month. Nevertheless...here we go....



As you can see I switched out my gross Marshmallow nude balm for Parfait with my mom.
The bag this month is super adorable. It a black pouch with a pink zipper and heart keychain. I will definitely be reusing!


1. Beauty Without Cruelty Facial Cleanser

"Beauty Without Cruelty 3% A.H.A. Facial Cleanser is a lightly-foaming, soap-free cleanser that removes dead surface skin cells, daily impurities, and excess oil without over-cleaning your skin. Nature's own alpha hydroxy acids (AHAs) gently and deeply clean and actively clarify your skin without disturbing it's natural balance. Pure premium Oshadhi aroma-therapeutic essential oils tone, condition, and calm, leaving your skin clean, clear, and refreshed."
3/5


First the good:  It cleanses? So that's a plus I suppose. The smell is also ok, not wonderful, just ok.  It smells like some sort of herbal thing, I can't really tell.
The bad: The big one is that its for normal to oily skin and my skin is insanely dry.  Both times I used this even my moisturizer couldn't fend off the nasty dry flakes.  Maybe I'll store this away until summer and try again then, it just isn't good for winter time.  Its also pretty runny, as you can see from my swatch it wouldn't stay put long enough for a picture.

Where to buy: Amazon, Drugstores, Vitamin Shops
Price:  $12 ($2.82)


2. Cailyn Cosmetics Just Mineral Eye Polish in Orchid

"Made with 100% raw mineral powder, this highly pigmented satiny powder not only colors your eyes with shimmery, gorgeous hues, but is also safe to wear long hours. "

4/5


I love everything about this product except the color.  I wish Ipsy would have a nude and a bright option for every eye shadow and lipstick color.  Anyway this is a similar color to the Be a Bombshell eye base thing from last month but the formula and application is miles better.  It applies very easily and opaque with the little applicator and has a foiled finish.  You just dip the brush in and give it a shake to replenish the  color.  This stayed on all day.  I would definitely buy this in a different color if it wasn't so expensive.

Where to buy: cailyncosmetics.com
Price: $15


3. NYX Butter Balm in Parfait (switched for Marshmallow)

"Dip your lips in a sheer wash of color with NYX Butter Lip Balm. One swipe leaves dry lips feeling supple and hydrated."

4/5


This probably would have gotten a 2/5 if I wouldn't have been able to switch with my mom but because I really like the new color I'm rating it high.  Besides it being a very nice shade, it is also very moisturizing, comfortable on the lips, and long lasting for a balm.  The only con would be the chubby stick makes precision application difficult.

Where to buy: NYXcosmetics.com, Ulta, Drugstores
Price: $4


4. StyleSexyHair 450 Blow Out Spray

"Protect those tresses! Sexy Hair’s 450° Blow Out Heat Defense Blow Dry Spray protects hair from heat damage up to 450°F. In addition to outstanding thermal protection, it also conditions for smooth, sleek styles, detangles for improved manageability and strengthens hair. Helps to decrease blow dry time and adds weightless shine."

I can't rate this because I can't use it.....


I don't blow dry my hair and I haven't straightened it since getting my pixie 2 years ago. I don't even own a hair dryer.  I tried spraying it in my hair before styling normally but it did nothing.  Guess this one is going to my mom or a friend who uses a blow drier.....:/

Where to buy: Sexyhair.com, Ulta
Price: $19 ($7.69)


5. Tarte Lights, Camera, Lashes Mascara

"Like a pushup bra for your lashes, tarte’s best-selling mascara lengthens, curls, volumizes and conditions to deliver a 330% increase in lash volume instantly. The high-performance formula is also infused with naturally-derived olive esters to help nourish and protect lashes. "

4/5


I don't really have any complaints here...it isn't too wet, it isn't too dry.  It lengthens and adds volume.  It loses a point because for me Urban Decay's Perversion is my 5/5 mascara and it isn't quite as good. Otherwise its a pretty solid mascara!

Where to buy: Sephora, Ulta, tartecosmetics.com
Price: $20 ($8.33)

Total price of this month's bag comes to $37.84, a bit lower than usual but still over 3x what you pay.  Kinda sucks that I can't use one of the products though. I hate when that happens but I guess its just the luck of the draw.  




No comments:

Post a Comment